Refuge Alerter® is a digital radio-based emergency voice communication system for disabled people, for use in the event of an emergency to help evacuate disabled people from a refuge area.
Our innovative system allows two-way voice communication at all times through our advanced Refuge Outstations, our touchscreen Master Station and our handheld portable refuge communicators (PRC), usually used by Fire Wardens.
Refuge Alerter uses digital radio signals for communication between Outstations, Master Stations and PRCs. Digital signals significantly increase the audibility, reliability, and range of communication across the board.
Refuge Alerter aids compliance with the Equality Act 2010, Health and Safety legislation and Building Regulations. Our unique radio-based product fully complies with BS5839 part 9 and has been specified in a range of locations, from new builds to listed and historic buildings.
What is a disabled refuge?
A disabled refuge is a relatively safe temporary waiting area, located within a building to aid the evacuation of all people as safely as possible. The disabled refuge area allows building management and emergency services to assist all people out of a building in the event of an emergency.
Watch our demonstration video to see how our intuitive Refuge Alerter systems works, as well as seeing how other systems such as Accessible Toilets can be fully integrated.
Our user-friendly outstations are designed to be used by people with both physical and sensory disabilities. They are situated in all refuge areas, fixed to a wall at around 1m off the ground.
- Easy to press ‘Push-Button’ will begin communication with the Master Station, with a visual indication of the call being answered (red light)
- The front panel of the Outstation is photoluminescent, glowing in the dark in the event of a power cut.
- There is braille identification and an induction loop in all Outstations.
- A ringing tone sounds whilst the call is waiting
Any call from a refuge area will communicate back to the Master Station, which is typically located in reception areas or Security Lodges. Our Master Station allows up to 999 refuge locations to be managed from one unit. The touchscreen interface allows easy management of all outstations and all Portable Refuge Communicators.
- When a Refuge Outstation help button is pressed, the location will show on the Master Station.
- The call can be answered from the Master Station or using a portable hand-held radio.
- The Master Station can be used to remotely listen to all Refuge Outstations in case of emergency.
- Future Refuge locations can easily be added to the database, ideal for when expanding buildings/campuses.
Portable Refuge Communicator (PRC)
- Refuge names and numbers can be shown on the backlit screen of the portable handset, allowing communication at all times.
- The portable handsets can talk to any Outstation and the Master Station.
- The Portable Refuge Communicator allows continued communication with all Outstations, even when a member of staff is not present at the Master Station.
- Good battery life (rechargeable).
- Multi-channel to enable (UHF/VHF) estates/security radio channels to be used on the same radio (subject to compatibility).
Our Outstation is also available in alternative colours and styles.
- Emergency Outstation (Red) has been used in various locations such as Laboratories.
- The Help Point Outstation (Blue) is placed around buildings where people may need assistance, separate to needing assistance in disabled refuge areas, it is commonly installed in disabled toilets.
- Our wooden Outstations are perfect for locations like listed buildings. They work exactly the same as any of our other Outstations.
Download our Refuge Alerter brochure!
Click to download our Refuge Alerter brochure in PDF format